Create Equitable Opportunities for Students
Research shows that we're all born with the ability to innovate, but not everyone has equitable access to opportunities to hone and practice those skills. One way to address this opportunity gap is to introduce students early and often to examples of innovators from the past and present.
Build a New Classroom Culture
Each school year, The Henry Ford selects up to fifteen K-12 educators to explore and implement ideas to create a new kind of classroom culture where students feel empowered to think and act like innovators.
Apply for the Program
This hybrid program will span the 2024-25 school year, starting with an on-site kickoff at The Henry Ford in July 2024 and followed by virtual check-ins from August 2024-June 2025. Educators will be selected based on their applications.
New in 2024: We are running two cohorts of Educators-in-Residence composed of 15 educators each.
To be considered for the 2024 cohort, read through the guidelines below and then apply from February 1, 2024, through April 12, 2024, at 11:59 p.m. EDT. Please direct any questions to Bria Harvel at BriaH@thehenryford.org.
This hybrid program spans an entire academic year, starting with an on-site summer kick-off at The Henry Ford and followed by virtual check-ins throughout the school year. Learn more about this program below.
What will the Educators-in-Residence do?
- Connect with a cohort of like-minded educators.
- Share and assess current classroom techniques, activities, lessons, and approaches with the cohort.
- Work with cohort and THF education staff to find stories, tools, and resources that can help build a culture of creativity.
- Test out new techniques, activities, and resources in the classroom and capture student impact.
What is the commitment?
Each educator-in-residence wil:
- Available to be on-site at The Henry Ford July 9-12, 2024, or July 23-26, 2024. You will be able to select your week preference as part of your application.
- Able to attend two virtual check-ins during the 2024-25 school year to reflect on how well new ideas or lessons worked with students.
- Willing to test new ideas and/or lessons in your classroom during the 2024-25 school year.
Who should apply?
An ideal Educator-in-Residence:
- Is a certified K-12 educator, student teacher, curriculum director, instructional coach, or youth services provider in any subject area in the United States.
- Wants time and support to assess needs in the classroom and design potential solutions with a dedicated cohort.
- Is open to new ideas and giving and receiving constructive criticism
- Is passionate about exploring primary sources, artifacts, and stories to embed in the classroom.
Why should I apply?
Educators-in-residence will receive benefits like…
- $500 stipend
- Travel expense reimbursement
- Access to inHub
- One-year membership to The Henry Ford
- SCECHs for Michigan teachers and letter of completion for all educators
How do I apply?
Apply here from February 1, 2024, through April 12, 2024, at 11:59 p.m. EDT. You will be asked to complete a short application form that includes brief written responses. You will also upload your current resume. Applicants will be notified about their status by May 17, 2024. If you have any questions, please email Bria Harvel at BriaH@thehenryford.org.